Handmade Japanese Shell Cordovan Whiskey Bifold with Coin Pouch
Custom designed Japanese Shell Cordovan Bifold wallet with a coin pouch, bill divider, and several pockets for cards. Handcrafted from incredibly glossy Shinki Shell Cordovan in Whiskey and the interior built from Italian vegetable tanned Buttero leather in their Biscuit color. Saddle stitched with color-lasting thread to match the Whiskey shell. The edges were burnished and then polished with wax. To maintain the desired slim profile, the wallet was unlined and agreed to not have a hidden pocket behind the coin pouch. Was able to successfully keep the thickness to around 7mm.
I was commissioned to create this gorgeous Japanese Shell Cordovan wallet because the client was unable to find one which featured a coin pouch and bill divider. In order to meet their budget, I suggested having the interior be made from B grade biscuit colored Buttero, which has many surface scars. I did my best to place these scars in inconspicuous areas so that the overall bifold wallet still looks great. Minimalist logo stamped on the bottom right corner, but miscalculated the placement since it is not my usual spot for branding.
- Dimensions (folded): 90mm x 106mm x 7mm (3.54” tall x 4.17” wide x 0.25” depth)
- Bill divider for 2 separate note pockets.
- 4 horizontal card slots.
- 1 hidden pocket behind card slots.
- 1 expandable coin pouch with covered snap closure.
- Fully saddle stitched by hand.
- Shell Cordovan in Whiskey from Japan.
- Vegetable Tanned Biscuit Buttero leather from Tuscany, Italy.
- Hand-waxed polyester thread in medium brown.
- Antique brass snap.
- 2 S+U needles.
- Water based glue.
- Japanese edge burnishing agent.
- Paraffin wax.